Re: changing priority optional->extra

Hi,

general statement for everybody: Please use

for all your packages which are not *-dbg (Debug) packages.  Everything
else is some kind of wrong shyness / understatement because you might
think your package is "not so important".  As explained below the
differences between optional and extra are not very large.[1]  I have
also read somewhere that not all QA tools we have in Debian are extended
to priority extra packages - but we *really* want to have all those nifty
tools running on our software.

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 11:53:33PM +0100, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:
> On 05.11.2013 23:37, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Dear Sascha,
>
> Dear Charles,
>
> > the Priority and Section fields of a package are used once, when
> > they are accepted for the first time in the Debian archive.
> > Further changes have no effect; one has to request the FTP team to
> > change the metadata of the archive directly by opening a bug on the
> > pseudopackage “ftp.debian.org”.  For this, using the 'reportbug'
> > tool is recommended.
>
> I see. I remember that during the first upload the priorities were set
> to extra, and only later changed to optional to comply with the DebMed
> policy -- I guess that's where the disparities came from in the first
> place. Do you think it is worth the while to file a change request?

I vaguely remember that these things are changed at some point in time
without filing such requests.  However, it seems that the previous
uploads did not showed some "healing" effect - so perhaps filing the
change request might make sense.

> > For the priority, there are not many practical difference between
> > “optional” and “extra”, the main one being that all the “optional”
> > packages must be co-installable.  So if genometools does not
> > conflict with another package nor depend on an “extra” package, it
> > may be more straightforward to chose “optional”.
>
> Well, in the current state there are even optional-extra dependencies
> within binary packages from the same source package, such as
> python-genometools vs. libgenometools0, see
> http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=testing&package=genometools.

Hmmm, the page is not really up to date (we have 1.5.1-2 in sid+jessie)
but even the version showed there should have optional.  BTW, I'd also
check out the 'oldlibs' issue.

> Whatever of both is chosen, I'd really like to straighten these out
> into a consistent state.

Please choose "optional" (except as for the -dbg package - right as it
is in the current d/control file).

> > In the case of the sections, libraries should be in the “libs”
> > section so here it is definitely the source package that has to be
> > corrected. By the way, the override disparities are a minor
> > problem, so there is no need to immediately upload if it is only to
> > propagate the changes.
>
> Great, thanks for the information! I will make the necessary
> adjustments to the packages and upload with the next updated upstream
> release.

Charles is right here to use "Section: libs" for the library.  If I
remember right the usage of d-shlibs will check this - one nice reason
to use this for library packages.  (We have examples for d-shlibs usage
in our Vcs, the most extensive example is probably staden-io-lib.)

I also agree with Charles, that there is no really need to hurry up
with an upload.  I personally would go with a commit to Vcs of the
relevant change to make sure it will not be forgotten.  (Make sure
you set target distribution to "UNRELEASED".)

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-priorities