Re: Bioinformatics course in debian-med - feasibility?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 05:43:05PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 12:12:36PM +0000, Daniel Barker wrote:
> > We plan to convert an open access bioinformatics course to a Debian
> > package. Because debian-med is an active, helpful and relevant project, I
> > think debian-med would be a sensible route to achieve this.
> >
> > The course is available as part of a ready-to-run Raspbian SD card image,
> > 4273pi:
> >
> > http://eggg.st-andrews.ac.uk/4273pi
>
> I personally did not dived into Raspbian myself but I'd like to give a
> hint that Raspbian is a Debian based derivative but not compatible with
> official Debian packages.  As far as I understood the reason is the
> different architecture which is heavily based on a graphics processor
> with non-free drivers.  I would not swear that I have understood / are
> remembering these issues correctly but there was some strong reason that
> Debian can not release packages straigth for Raspbian and since Debian
> Med is pure Debian you will not be able to install Debian Med packages
> directly.

The incompatibility is that raspbian is compiling for a newer revision of
the armel ABI, so packages built for raspian do not in general run on
vanilla Debian armel systems.  Not sure what is the case with python
packages.

The non-free graphics drivers are a mess, but not any different to fglrx
or the nvidia driver.

But yeah, a simple recompile (which would have to happen anyway when the
packages get introduced into Debian) should be fine.

Michael