Re: Bioinformatics course in debian-med - feasibility?

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your interest in Debian Med.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 12:12:36PM +0000, Daniel Barker wrote:
> Dear debian-med,
>
> We plan to convert an open access bioinformatics course to a Debian
> package. Because debian-med is an active, helpful and relevant project, I
> think debian-med would be a sensible route to achieve this.
>
> The course is available as part of a ready-to-run Raspbian SD card image,
> 4273pi:
>
> http://eggg.st-andrews.ac.uk/4273pi

I personally did not dived into Raspbian myself but I'd like to give a
hint that Raspbian is a Debian based derivative but not compatible with
official Debian packages.  As far as I understood the reason is the
different architecture which is heavily based on a graphics processor
with non-free drivers.  I would not swear that I have understood / are
remembering these issues correctly but there was some strong reason that
Debian can not release packages straigth for Raspbian and since Debian
Med is pure Debian you will not be able to install Debian Med packages
directly.  On the other hand it should be pretty easy to port Debian Med
related packages to Raspbian which in the end should be a simple
rebuild.

> We are willing to put in work. At the moment, I am keen to check technical
> feasibility.

Perhaps my comments above might be helpful but I never had touched a
Raspberry Pi myself (even if I admit that it is cool stuff).

> Tasks we have in mind include:
>
> - More clearly identifying dependencies on external packages and between
> components within of the course.

We could help if you might identify medicine or biology related packages
which are not yet inside Debian.

> - Editing the course material to suit a CC0 licence.
>
> - Preparation of a .deb.

I admit I do not understand what exactly you mean by a "course" and how
to put this into a .deb - but we can talk about this.

> - Contribution of the .deb to debian-med.

Fine.

> Does this seem possible?

Honestly: I don't know.  But I'm quite positive that we can at least
try to make your work more easy to some extent.

> I am new to the details of debian-med. I will be at the Debian Med Sprint
> Weekend, Stonehaven (Jan-Feb 2014) which will be useful.

Cool.  That's a pretty good idea to find out what we can do together.