Re: Upload GNU Health 2.0 to experimental

OK, I've finally found what the issue was with GNU Health, and I believe I've fixed it.
Can you please upload the newest package (in svn [0]) to experimental to be able to test installing from a repo, pulling in all the dependencies (that's where the issue was, see below for more explanation)

2013/8/10 Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>
Hi Emilian,

sorry for the long delay to look into this.

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 10:10:33PM +0200, Emilien Klein wrote:

> I've updated our GNU Health svn repo to the latest upstream 2.0 version.
> Could one of you review the changes and upload to experimental?

The package builds fine and I could upload to experimental.  However, when
trying to install it I get

   /usr/share/dbconfig-common/scripts/gnuhealth-server/install/pgsql exited with non-zero status

after having answered the question for the password twice.  While I
think this is OK for experimental we somehow need to make this more
robust (which is tricky, thought).

So what happens here is:
gnuhealth-server depends on tryton-server
tryton-server recommends on postgres

When installing the gnuhealth-server and all its dependencies, the packages get configured in this order:
tryton-server
gnuhealth-server
postgres

Since gnuhealth-server is using dbconfig-common to configure the database, it needs postgres configured and running. On my development box, that was the case (since dpkg -i doesn't pull in the dependencies, I had always installed those manually beforehand). But when installing on a system that doesn't have postgres installed, the incorrect order results in gnuhealth not being configured properly.

I had wrongly assume that tryton-server would depend on postgres. But since that package requires manual configuration from it's user, they're actually fine with only suggesting it (when installing with apt-get/aptitude, by default the dependencies are pulled in), so for most users of the tryton-server package, suggesting has virtually the same end effect as depending:
postgres will be configured on the system before the user hand-edits the configuration files.

But since with GNU Health, we try to automate the whole process, we actually need postgres to be configured before gnuhealth-server itself gets configured. I have thus made the gnuhealth-server package depend on postgres.

After you upload the new 2.0.0-2 package to experimental, I'll first purge all tryton and postgres packages before installing gnuhealth-server. This time, postgres should get configured before gnuhealth-server, and all should be fine!

I hope the upload helps for the moment.

Definitely, I was only able to find out about this bug by installing the whole package from the repository, when pulling in all the dependencies. Thanks for the upload!

You will also notice that Lintian now logs an Error (!):
E: gnuhealth-client: python-script-but-no-python-dep usr/share/gnuhealth-client/gnuhealth-client.py

I believe this is an issue in Lintian, see bug #711988 [1] for details.

Please upload the new version to experimental.
   +Emilien
[0] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/gnuhealth/trunk/