Re: ITP: HTSeq

Hi Diane,

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 03:15:51PM -0700, Diane Trout wrote:
> > > I'd like to submit the ITP, though as I'm still learning how to make a
> > > correct ITP I'd like a review first.
> >
> > +1
>
> So I spoke a bit with #debian-devel and they suggested that there's not huge
> reason to file an ITP if the packaging is already done. The ITP is more to cut
> down on duplication of effort.

While this prevention of duplicated work is the initial idea of an ITP
the chances for duplication in the field of our leaf packages are quite
low.  I actually do not ITP anything where I'm not sure that I will
finish the packaging.  There are enough long standing ITPs hanging in
the WNPP bug report which will never be closed.  So preparing the package
in Vcs and ITPing it afterwards makes some sense in our case.

However, the ITP makes some other - you can call it bureaucratic -
sense.  As far as I know ftpmasters are dealing with the ITP bug number
and it helps following the status of a new package.  So for the house
keeping part of the ITP function I would do it anyway.  On the other
hand I'd be fine with trying to upload a package to new without an
according ITP bug and by doing so find out whether what I said in this
paragraph is not true any more.

> > I usually append the text in a separate paragraph:
> >
> > The package is maintained in Debian Med team and prepared for upload in
> > Git at git://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/python-htseq.git .
>
> That however reminded me I should set Maintainer, Uploader, VCS-Git, and VCS-
> Browser control file metadata. (Which I did and pushed).

Uhmmm, shame on me.  Usually these are the first data I'm checking.  I
hope I did not missed other things.

> My last question is its currently Section: python, I was wondering if it
> should be Section: science instead. However that might require  a lintian
> override.

In several cases you find more than one section a package would fit
into.  I'd just leave it like it is - speccifically because of the
reasoning you have given why you decided to call the package
python-htseq (and not only htseq when I asked you about the name).  For
instance have python-biopython, python-csb and others in section python
- this is just fine and we are using the Debian Med tasks to do a better
categorisation.

BTW, do you think the package fits into bio, bio-dev or even into both?