Storing a backup of the database before upgrading

I'm working on the upgrade steps needed for GNU Health 2.0.
Their README file lists making a copy of the database as the second step, which seems like a very good idea:

    pg_dump gnuhealth181 > backup181.sql

My question is where in the filesystem on Debian should I put these backup copies? Is there another package part of Debian Med that is making backups of it's data[base] before upgrading? How is that handled?

Or would backing up before upgrading be a feature already baked into dbconfig-common and I'm just not opening my eyes enough? ([0] mentions backing up, but I can't find any other mention elsewhere)

   +Emilien

[0] http://people.debian.org/~seanius/policy/examples/dbconfig-common/doc/dbapp-policy.html