Re: LEG: Optimisation and porting - assembly

* Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> [2013-04-03 09:47]:

you might have read about the initiative from Linaro to detect assembly code in Free Software to increase portablility. I checked their list for packages inside Debian Med (which became fairly easy by using the recent not yet published stuff to solve #703402) and here is the list of packages with some relevance for Debian Med that might deserve some checking whether it might be possible to dissable / remove assembly code. [...]

praat 5.3.16-1 0 E E

speech analysis and synthesis; asm in embedded codecs/libs (mad/mp3, flac, gsl, portaudio); no direct porting needed [...]

I looked at the status of the praat package. The upstream tarball of Praat include the sources of the following libraries: espeak, flac, glpk, gsl, mad/mp3, and portaudio. All of them are packaged in Debian so that the Praat executable could, in rpinciple, be linked against the *.so files instead of building their own versions of the libraries and linking against the resulting *.a. However, five out of six of those libraries have special adaptations written by the Praat authors, the only exception being gsl.

This makes the requested porting almost impossible to accomplish. I will see what it is possible to do regarding the gsl library, but it will probably involve the tweaking of the upstream makefiles (praat has no such thing as autotools or cmake...) and this may be a maintenance burden.

Best,

Rafael