Re: new upstream release for GNUmed

Hi Sebastian,

thanks for bringing up this.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 09:59:31AM +0100, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> I see that 1.2.9 is in experimental. I guess there could be more 1.2.x
> versions in the future.
>
> If I got that right Debian is in freeze right now. Wheezy will be the new
> stable , right ? The 1.2.x series is the stable one but will never make it
> into Wheezy I guess. So it will go into the future testing.

Either 1.2.x will go into future testing or you as upstream prefer to
let 1.3.x to go to testing and ignore 1.2.x.  Another option is to
provide 1.2.x into backports.  I do not have any experience with the new
procedure that was just announced[1] but from my point of view this is
an interesting alternative for GNUmed users.  I previously hesitated to
do the extra effort with different keyring etc but now this barrier
seems to have lowered.

> Is Sid going to be turned into testing ?

That's a wrong wording for the procedure.  Single *packages* from sid
will migrate to testing again once Wheezy is released (= freeze is over)
...  provided they are free from RC bugs for at least ten days.  In the
practical case for GNUmed this would mean:  If we upload any version of
GNUmed to unstable now and it remains bug free it will migrate to
testing after the freeze if there are no RC bugs.

> If so could the 1.2.x series move
> from experimental to sid ?

In principle yes.  The reason why we used experimental is that it needs
extra means to fix an RC bug in testing (version 1.1.17) when some
higher version is just sitting in unstable.  In case we might upload
1.2.x to unstable and the unlikely case that an RC bug in 1.1.17 might
occure we need to take the route via 'testing-proposed-updates' instead
of the usual way via 'unstable'.  This should be generally avoided
because we create extra work for the release team but from my
perspective the chance to let this happen is low enough that we could go
on feeding unstable with newer versions.

> How can I handle this if I want to package 1.3.x in experimental ? Do I have
> to wait for Wheezy's release.

No.  In experimental you can do "whatever you want".  As far as I have
understood the announcements on GNUmed list 1.3.x is basically ready for
your users.  I know you also have a couple of Ubuntu users and it might
be advisable to move that version into unstable that you might like to
see in Ubuntu 13.10.  (Note: I have no idea at what time the unstable
fork to create the new Ubuntu release is done - but at that time you
should have uploaded the target version for 13.10.)

In short: If I'm not misleaded about the status of GNUmed 1.3.x it would
make sense to upload it to unstable now and possibly consider 1.2.x as
backport for those users who really insist on the rock stable heavily
tested version.  Those users should run Debian stable anyway and install
the latest enduser targeting GNUmed from backports because you obviously
have no chance to synchronise GNUmed with Debian releases.

Hope this explanation helps

      Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/03/msg00007.html