Re: Packages for Strap finished. Please have a look

Hi Christoph,

thanks for your work on strap.

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:57:14PM +0100, Dr. med. Christoph Gille wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have worked hard on the packages strap-base and strap and to the
> best of my knowledge the packages are now OK.

Please add a debian/watch file for strap.  I would have created one for
the sake of quickly testing your code but the upstream site does not
simply offer a link to a versioned source tarball (at least not at first
glance).  Please use your upstream hat to enable uscan doing its job.

> There are no lintian errors or warnings any more.

I can not confirm this.   You should at least have seen the old
standards version warning and I also fixed the info about source format.
Moreover the formating / spacing of the copyright file of strap-base
is totally mixed up.  Perhaps you will find a local copy of a proper
copyright file - so I'll leave the DEP5 lintian warning for you to
fix.

Please make sure you read and understand the commit log of the changes
I did to enhance the packaging.

I also tried to build the package and failed totally with your
debian/rules file.  The reason was that you really mixed up
override_dh_auto_build which obviously assumed you were somewhere else
than in the unpackaged source directory.  If you say (p)debuild you do
this *inside* the unpackaged source directory where you copy the debian/
dir.  You should NOT try to unpack the source tarball (again) nor should
the build rule do some change directory magic.  I tried to fix this in
the just commited debian/rules file - but please note that I'm not a
Java expert and might have missinterpreted some statements of yours - so
please check the result!

For a more detailed advise I'd recommend reading "Debian New
Maintainers' Guide"[1] and perhaps joining MoM[2] (where you are even
listed as student since some time but you did not confirmed a specific
month.)

Once you have builded the package (using the just commited) rules file
besides the  syntax-error-in-dep5-copyright  problem mentioned above
there are two hardening related lintian warnings which we might ignore
for the moment (but not for the final upload) and two warnings I'm really
concerned about:

W: strap-base: jar-not-in-usr-share usr/lib/strap-base/strap-protein-alignment-1.jar
W: strap-base: missing-classpath libcommons-httpclient-java, libcommons-compress-java, libhttpmime-java, libjavatar-java, libhttpclient-java, libger

So you should finally regard the Java policy to fix this.  If you have
no idea what to do I might be more verbose.

> The two generated
> package files strap_1_all.deb strap-base_1-1_i386.deb work perfectly
> on a VirtualBox XUbuntu testing machine.
>
> Can you please have a look at it.

I guess several changes I made for strap-base are also necessary for the
strap package - please apply these as well there.

> To develop the package I used
>   fakeroot ./debian/rules get-orig-source

Fakeroot is not necessary here.

>   fakeroot ./debian/rules clean && fakeroot ./debian/rules binary

Please rather use debuild (or even better pdebuild but for the moment
debuild is fine).

> Finally I checked
>   svn-buildpackage --svn-lintian -us -uc -rfakeroot --svn-ignore

To run lintian it is more simple and straightforeward to run

   lintian strap-base_1-1_amd64.changes

> Please tell me what needs to be improved.

Hope my remarks and commits will be helpfull - feel free to ask for more
details.

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM