From: chebi-help-bounces@ebi.ac.uk [mailto:chebi-help-bounces@ebi.ac.uk] On
Behalf Of tille@debian.org
Sent: 07 January 2013 13:13
To: chebi-help@ebi.ac.uk
Subject: EBI HELP: ChEBI

Hello,
I'm writing you on the behalf of the Debian Med team which has included the
EMBOSS suite into official Debian distribution.

I found on the page https://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/aboutChebiForward.do the
statement that the database is free.   However, I have not found an explicit
right to redistribute the data.

The Debian operating system is currently redistributing some files from
ChEBI indirectly, as we redistribute the EMBOSS package, which incorporates
some ChEBI files since its version 6.4
(http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/emboss).

Debian considers copyrights and licenses very seriously, and our system only
contains Free software, that is, materials that our users can freely use,
modify and redistribute themselves. In addition to our system, we have a
"non-free" archive in which, as a convenience for our users, we redistribute
works that give less freedoms to our users.

In order to evaluate if works containing ChEBI files can at least be
distributed in our "non-free" area, I would like to know if ChEBI is
available under other terms of use or licenses, that allow redistributing
ChEBI files.

Please note:  If you might like to apply a more detailed license including
redistribution statement it would be great if you could post this in public
to the Debian Med mailing list <debian-med@lists.debian.org>.

Kind regards and thanks for providing ChEBI