Re: [Debian-med-packaging] j2f package

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:54:21AM +0100, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I followed instructions there and could compile jlapack using f2j package.
> This generated some jars:
> ./src/lapack/lapack.jar
> ./src/blas/blas.jar
> ./src/error_reporting/xerbla.jar
> (and others not usefull here)
>
> Then I compiled netlib-java using those libraries, providing
> netlib-java-0.9.3.jar, using updated build.xml:
>     <property name="javac.classpath"
> value="/usr/share/java/junit.jar:/usr/share/java/f2jutil.jar:/home/osallou/DEBIAN-MED/netlib/jlapack/f2j/jlapack-3.1.1/src/blas/blas.jar:/home/osallou/DEBIAN-MED/netlib/jlapack/f2j/jlapack-3.1.1/src/lapack/lapack.jar:/home/osallou/DEBIAN-MED/netlib/jlapack/f2j/jlapack-3.1.1/src/error_reporting/xerbla.jar"/>
>
> (path to jar files hard coded here for example)
>
> Then I could successfully compile mtj with build.xml modification:
>     <property name="javac.classpath"
> value="/usr/share/java/junit.jar:/usr/share/java/f2jutil.jar:/home/osallou/DEBIAN-MED/netlib/netlib-java-0.9.3/netlib-java-0.9.3.jar"/>

That's very good news!!!

> So there are several steps needed:
> 1) package jlapack. Though there is no source code archive, one need to
> get it from cvs. Should we create an archive and provide it ourselves?

I'd suggest a get-orig-source script.  I found out that when using "svn
export" you get original file time stamps which I personally consider
interesting information.  I have no idea whether cvs provides a similar
functionality.

> Regarding different blas fortran code, should we try using it in place
> of provided one in cvs ?

I'd say whatever leads flawlessly to the final goal to get mtj.jar
packaged.  It might be of academical interest to base the build process
on the maintained Debian packaged code, however, I'm afraid this might
create a lot of extra work which is not rewarded by the final use case
as the users of the original mtj.jar never cared about this.

> 2) package netlib-java (got source from
> http://code.google.com/p/netlib-java/downloads/detail?name=netlib-java-0.9.3.zip),
> using jlapack

Sounds less hard to do once 1) is solved.

> 3) update build.xml to use netlib-java lib + f2j  to generat mtj

Sounds also not that hard once 1) and 2) is finished.

Kudos to your work on this