Re: Plans for ITK version 4

Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> wrote:

> there seems to be a new build-depends complication:
>
>     libgeotiff-dev  depends on libtiff5-dev,
>
>     libtiff5-dev is not (yet) providing libtiff-dev (but conflicting
> with libtiff4-dev providing
>     it)
>
>     itk4 and libvtk5-dev depending on libtiff-dev
>
> that makes it impossible to satisfy build-depends (tried on sparc)...
>
> but now I am totally confused:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libtiff5-dev
> says that
>
> experimental: Virtual package
> provided by: libtiff-dev
>
> but http://packages.debian.org/experimental/libtiff-dev
> Package: libtiff-dev (4.0.0~beta6-3 and others)
> mentions it available only for alpha and hppa
>
> Jay -- could you please clarify the situation?  what is that libtiff-dev source
> package in experimental ? or/and  when libtiff5-dev would provide
> libtiff-dev?
>
> or am I missing the point here?

Hmm.  I'm not sure what the solution to this problem is.  There is no
longer any libtiff5-dev or libtiff-dev in experimental.  The versions
referenced there are old versions that have disappeared as newer
versions are in unstable.

libtiff4-dev and libtiff5-dev can't be installed together because they
create many of the same files, some of which have the same names and
different contents (like /usr/include/tiff*.h).

If libvtk5-dev works with libtiff5-dev, its build dependency could be
changed to libtiff-dev | libtiff5-dev.

Alternatively, libtiff5-dev could start providing libtiff-dev, but that
would break all packages that only depend on libtiff-dev.  The original
plan was to wait until after wheezy was released, and then to remove
libtiff-dev from libtiff4-dev and add it to libtiff5-dev.  At that
point, packages that break with libtiff5-dev would be patched and
libtiff4-dev would be removed from the archive.  The way the two
versions of tiff are set up now enables both runtime versions to be
installed and loaded at the same time, but it does not provide any
facility allowing two development versions.

I think my suggestion would be to change the vtk packages to depend on
libtiff-dev | libtiff5-dev to see whether that works.  Failing that, you
might want to get an opinion from debian-devel or debian-release.  I'm
fine with having libtiff5-dev also provide libtiff-dev.  It just means
many packages that have libtiff dependencies will have to be re-uploaded
now and again later, but that's what happened with the png transitions,
so I don't think it's the end of the world.

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help.  However, if a consensus
emerges  on this that requires changing something about the tiff
packages, and the release team is okay with it, I can do whatever
changes to tiff are required to get you going.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>