Request for advise: can auto_test build step be safely removed?

Hi,
there is an upstream bug I created on GBrowse package (new upstream
release) that impacts the auto_test step (tests are failing in many places).
I could see what is wrong with the bug and gave instructions to upstream
author but I am not confident at patching the code (side efffects of my
modification?)

I tested the generated package (skipping the tests) and it is ok.

Can I upload the new version of the package, skipping the tests (and
specifying it in changelog) ?
Or should I wait for upstream new release to include the fix (which may
take a while).

Thanks for advise,

Olivier

--

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438