Re: Packaging Ray for Debian Med

Hi Andreas,

On 11/06/2012 02:18 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Sébastien,

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 06:59:27PM -0500, Sébastien Boisvert wrote:

I want the ray-extra because ray contains the executable Ray whereas
ray-extra has some R and python scripts which are not used in most Ray
workflows. Thus, I don't want the ray package to require (or suggest)
r-base-core or python.

Right, avoiding some extra dependencies which are usually unneeded is a
fair reason for a separate binary package.

ray-doc contains documentation not required to operate Ray.
The man page alone is sufficient.

I understood this but as I previosely said I personally would not split
these few bytes from the main package.  But in any case it is your
decision as the person responsible for the package.  I just wanted to
make sure you are aware about typical reasons for splitting and that
your decision was not simply after having read in the docs that it is
possible to split up into different binary packages.

In the end it is
a matter of taste but if you would decide to keep these packages they
should be "Architecture: all" in any case.

Fixed.

Fine.

I guess now you need to fire up

   lintian -i ray_2.1.0-1_amd64.changes

I don't get anything when I run this command.  I am on Squeeze.

which tells you about some issues of your packaging.  The explanation
that are triggered in verbose mode (-i) should give you a reasonable
clue what needs to be done but in any case feel free to ask here if you
might stumble upon any issue you might not understand.

Regarding

   W: ray: hardening-no-relro usr/bin/Ray
   W: ray: hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/bin/Ray

Do you know why I don't see these warning with lintian ?

I would recommend to simply try

   debian/compat: 9

and in Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9) which gives you good chances that
hardening will be switched on in case Ray has a properly crafted build
system.

Changed compat and debbuilder to 9.

BTW, in debian/changelog you are using "stable" as target distribution.
Besides the fact that you *never* can upload to stable and always have
to target at "unstable" our convention is to use "UNRELEASED" in VCS as
long as the package is not yet uploaded.

Changed to UNRELEASED.

Kind regards and thanks for your work on this

       Andreas.

Sent from my IBM Blue Gene/Q

Way cooler than any other booring "Sent from my ..." signatures. :-)