Re: InVesalius 3 Beta

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi Thiago,
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 03:39:25PM -0300, Thiago Franco Moraes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm one of InVesalius developers. InVesalius is a free software to
>> visualize and handle medical images (RMI and CT), it allows the
>> generation of stl files which can be used for rapid prototyping.
>> InVesalius is developed at CTI (Renato Archer Technology of
>> Information Center), a research institute of the Brazilian Science and
>> Technology Center and is available at the homepage of Public Software
>> Portal homepage [1].
>>
>> We, the invesalius developers, have interest in including InVesalius
>> at Debian Med project. I created a package which is available to
>> downloading at [2]. To get the files necessary to create the package:
>>
>> dget -x -u http://dl.dropbox.com/u/817671/packages/packaging/invesalius3b3/invesalius_3.0.0.b3-1.dsc
>
> thanks for your interest in Debian Med and the introduction into
> InVesalius.  As you can see in a search
>
>   site:lists.debian.org/debian-med/ invesalius
>
> we had some past discussion about this (where you took part yourself as
> well) and we also try to keep a record about all Debian relevant
> information on the so called web sentinel task page
>
>   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging#invesalius
>
> As you can see there we just have some packaging stuff for InVesalius in
> our packaging SVN and I hope you did not duplicated the work done there.
> I'm afraid I will not find the time to check your work (just working
> down a backlog after beeing two weeks offline) but the best way to work
> for an integration of InVesalius into Debian would be to join the Debian
> Med team at Alioth as described in Debian Med policy [1].  As far as I
> remember Tatiana Al-Chueyr just subscribed (see [2]) to do this but so
> far I never observed a single commit from her.

I remember that. I made some attempts at debian-mentors. In that time
I had some problems with packaging SIGAR. As far as I remember, that's
why InVesalius wasn't included in Debian-med. Now, InVesalius is not
using SIGAR anymore, we replaced it with python-psutils, which is
already packaged in Debian. But now InVesalius is using a library I
developed called Context aware smoothing [1], which is not package in
Debian. Temporarily, I hope, I packaged Context aware smoothing inside
the InVesalius package I created. To do that, I created a Makefile
which is responsible to download, compile and put the necessary files
at the right places in the InVesalius package. Yeah, it's an ugly
workaround. And because of that, I duplicated the work.

I've just requested to join Debian Med [2].

>> I have no experience at creating packages, so it may be not so good.
>
> As I suggested above it would be a good idea to verify the packaging
> in Debian Med SVN.  If you need some advise in Debian Packaging you
> might like to check the Mentoring Of Month [3] effort I'm running and
> by chance we now have a new Month without a student - so if you like
> we could try to push InVesalius in October 2012.

It sounds great to me. Yes, I'd like to.

>> What I need is some help to get InVesalius included at Debian Med.
>
> This could exactly be done in a MoM effort.
>
>> What is necessary ... and this type of things.
>
> Hope these hints might be helpful - please excuse if my answers are more
> delayed than usual because of my backlog.

They were very helpful.

> Kind regards
>
>         Andreas.
>
> [1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html