Re: OSCAR 10.12 has been packaged

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:09:22AM -0400, Peter Hutten-Czapski wrote:
> Thank you for your kind words and encouragement

No specific thanks for this is needed - we try to entertain a warm and
welcoming voice here in the Debian Med team. :-)

> Our source is in GIT and we reveal the source of our trunk stable (not
> really but not badly unstable) and releases on Sourceforge
> (we use a different repository for submission and vetting of code)
> I have not packaged the source, and would have to look up the meaning
> and content of the files you speak of in

When I did mention the "source package" I was rather refering to the
process how you builded the *.deb file.  You most probably have created
a debian/ directory and then you didt domething like dpkg-buildpackage
or debuild.  Could you somehow confirm this?  What I would need is the
location of this debian/ directory (which is also contained in the
source package files I was mentioning in my last mail - it is not
unusual that those technical terms are not really familiar to people
who do some packaging outside of Debian.)

> but really I am not ready
> I am a country doctor who does this in his "spare" time

That's actually no excuse - several people are doing interesting things
in their spare time.  It depends a bit how much time you might be able
to spend on this.  We have some good tradition of mentoring new people
(I guess in case you have watched my talk you will have hear about
Mentoring of Month.)

> there is no one else interested in doing the work (for the reasons implicit)

Taht's not fully true - we, the Debian Med team are also interested as
well.  But our manpower is split over several projects and we need to
find some reasonable compromise to get everything covered to some
extend.  From my perspective in your situation it is definitely worth
joining our team to do your contribution inside the team rather than
outside - IMHO your share of spare time could be spent more effectively.

> As mentioned I am preparing to package our next release which will be
> alpha in just a few days
> AND
> Equally importantly the project isn't grown up enough (or has grown up
> without thinking about these things until recently)

It is never to late to start here. ;-)

> Among other faults, to my understanding a unforgivable sin for your
> purposes, is that we have a number of jars that we do not reference
> from the source but provide with unknown or forgotten lineage (I would
> have to check with the programmers, the number has dropping
> dramatically from over a 100 but was not 0 at the last reckoning)

I would not call this an unforgivable sin - it is not fit for official
Debian for sure - but we could work on this step by step together right.
We have some tradition of splitting out JARs into separate packages with
clean source step by step.  It could ba a long stony read but there is
no point in not starting at some point.