Re: Missing in DDTP

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 01:41:04PM +0200, Eric Maeker wrote:
> > You can always check via
> >
> >     apt-cache show (or apt-cache policy)
> >
> > whether a package exists and these packages just do not (yet) exist.
> > That's the reason why they do not show up in DDTP.  I admit translation
> > wise this is a flaw in the concept of (re)using package descriptions at
> > this point but for the moment I do not regard it as a problem with high
> > urgency and so at least I do not plan to fix this in the near future.
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> >        Andreas.
>
> Euh, I don't clearly understand the problem and the
> want-would-be-the-fix. But don't mind.
> Just your information, the main time I'm translating on non-Debian
> OSes. And so, I can not use apt-get.

You also could consult packages.debian.org if you just want to find out
whether a package exists.

> Question:
> - Will these packages be available to translation?
> - What is the supposed fix? Upload the packages?

A metapackage will be created if at least one dependency in Debian will
really exist.  There is no point in installing metapackages which not a
single fullfilled dependency.  We also have some tasks (bio-ngs,
bio-phylogeny) files containing a

   Metapackage: false

field which explicitely prevents the generation of a metapackage.  The
rationale behind this was to have some web view on what is inside these
tasks but it is not yet decided whether these metapackages make sense or
not.

> That's just for my own information of the process. That's not a request.

It's simple: If DDTP does not have the package there is no need to care
about translation.