Re: New In WHeezy

indeed... finally I have gone throught my qa page and extended
"scientific" section a bit:

    FOSS solutions for various fields of science got vastly improved coverage

     * Neuroscience
      * Modeling and electrophysiology: brian, pynn, klustakwik, sigviewer, stimfit
      * Data I/O: biosig4c++, nibabel, libgdf, neo
      * Hardware interfaces: libfreenect, pyoptical, pyxid
      * Brain imaging: cmtk, dipy, mricron, nitime, openwalnut, pysurfer
      * Psychophysics: psychtoolbox-3
     * ''ADD YOUR FIELD''

    with new software addressing miscelaneous computing demands

     * Distributed computing
      * cctools, condor, dmtcp, mpi4py
     * General numeric computing
      * numexpr, pandas, skimage, statsmodels, xppaut (maintained again)
     * IPython 0.13 with notebook support
     * Other helpful tools: CDE (cdepack), numdiff

    although not an explicit release goal -- many of the above packages enabled
    exercising of upstream's unittest batteries at build-time  -- that greatly
    improved reliability and guaranteed performance of the scientific software in
    Debian.

all of that needs to be distilled anyways into a generalizing, human-readable
sentence (or a paragraph) summarizing our advance in coverage among
different fields and providing an ultimate platform for science.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences