Re: Packaging VistA - next package EWD

On 07/15/2012 09:50 AM, Luis Ibanez wrote:
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
> BTW, we recently had some discussion that three-letter packages /
> binaries could quite easily lead to name space conflicts.  I do not
> see an actual problem but I'm just mentioning this.

may i suggest vista-client-ewd ?

We intend to use EWD to build clients for VistA, but...
EWD is more general that this very specific use.

In general one can use EWD to develop Web applications
for any MUMPS based system (not only for VistA).

For example, here is something that Tony Shannon (a UK doctor)
and Chris Casey (developer) did in just 10 days, working remotely
using EWD and GTM:

http://clinuip.wordpress.com/presentation/
http://smart2.vistaewd.net/vista/leeds/index.ewd

This is the kind of small agile apps that we are looking forward to
use to motivate many younger developers to get involved  in the
VistA ecosystem...(but I digress...)

Back to your point:

There is a specific application/platform called: VistACom
that is built using the EWD platform, and provides a client
interface to VistA.

A webinar about it is available here:
https://www.vxvista.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=66815330

This probably will be the next target for packaging once we
get EWD into Debian.

BTW: I'm calling here "client" the GUI applications that
expose VistA information to end users (doctors, nurses,
pharmacists...), and pulls and push information to VistA.

I hope I'm not introducing more confusion by a mixed
use of terminology.   My apologies if that is the case.

[KSB] vista-addon-ewd might be a more appropriate name than vista-client-ewd.

Remember that there can be multiple VistA environments on a single system.  So, just as the VistA Debian package itself should not be directly runnable but should provide a means to install environments (like the SemiVivA packages), the EWD Debian package need not be directly runnable.  Debian package ewd (or, if we don't like 3 character packaged names, perhaps something like mgateway-ewd) would depend on fis-gtm and install EWD on the system and vista-addon-ewd would depend on ewd and vista, and provide a tool (like a shell script) to add EWD to a selected VistA environment.

-- Bhaskar

      Luis

--
GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.