Re: Free Clinic

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:44:11 PM Chuck Peters wrote:

Hi Chuck,

> A volunteer of our local Free Clinic asked me about migrating the

> patient records from Microsoft Access to another sql database.  I could

> help them setup a Debian server, but I have no experience with medical

> records systems or migrating db's from MS Access to whatever.  I know

> this description is very weak in terms of system requirements, but I am

> just trying to learn a bit before I talk to people at the clinic. I

> browsed a bit of the Debian Med site and I'm not sure where to go from

> here.  Any suggestions?

In general you have quite some options when looking at free(dom) EMR software. Some is packaged in Debian for easy installation and some is not.

In general there are two large requirements. One is clinical requirements and one is administrative requirements (billing etc.) SInce you are migrating from Microsoft Access I assume the clients will be running on MS Windows and they want you to set up a Debian server as backend.

You don't have a problem here. You can look at GNUmed, FreeMedForms, OpenEMR, GNU-Health and openMRS to name a few. Some have webbased client interfaces, some have regular clients.

Have a look at

http://medfloss.org/taxonomy/term/5

but be aware that not all software mentioned there is packaged and not even fit for the job.

My (biased) suggestion would be to go with GNUmed. It is very well supported in Debian(-med) and actively developed. Clients and Server can be run on a mix of Windows and Linux, Linux only or Windows only. Since I am part of upstream you already have a contact if things go wrong.

have a look at wiki.gnumed.de to check it out.

apt-get install gnumed-client

apt-get install gnumed-server

sudo gm-bootstrap_server

will get you started.

In case you missed it Debian-med folks are currently busy with packaging *Vista-EMR/EHR. But you need to decide if this is overkill for you.

Regards,

Sebastian