License issue

Dear all,

I have a program that says that "Most of the source code is available
under the GPL License". I asked the author what does "most of" means and
here is the answer (with his agreement):

"When I shifted to GPL distribution there were a few routines that
incorporated old code from government labs and early books on
programming that were written before people thought about 'intellectual
property rights' and '$$'. I am quite sure that the code in the cases
that remain [...] is considered 'public domain' and is distributable but
I can not claim that it can ever be distributed under GPL.  So as far as
I am concerned it can be used inside GPL code but it is 'not' GPL code.
But I am not at all a legal expert!!!"

What do you think of that ? Does it require further investigation ? Will
we be able to add this soft to Debian (as soon as my package is
finished) ?

Cheers,
Mickaël