Re: [MoM] Any student for June?

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 10:03:36AM +0200, Eric MAEKER wrote:
> Le 4 juin 2012 à 08:29, Andreas Tille a écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I admit that after two promising monthes of my MoM offer[1] nobody else
> > was honestly interested.  I really wonder whether nobody else wants to
> > get a year of introduction into packaging secrets for free.
>
> If we can consider that I can be a MoM student,

That's easy and is far as I can see the queue of MoM students has only
one single applicant and it is worked down FIFO.

> I can apply for the QuaZIP packaging (which is almost already done)...

And we started in the beginning of June - so why not.

> I can work on another (small) Qt project related to the pure medical domain.

We might see how we proceede (even if I admit that this package is close
to be finished).  To answer one of your previous questions about
d-shlibs when packaging a library you need to know that this is
technically a task which is a bit harder than a simple application and
that you should be aware of the "Debian Library Packaging guide"[1].
The d-shlibs package tries to implement the rules layed out in this
document and I try to use it wherever possible.  For sure there is no
written rule that you have to use d-shlibs but it serves two purposes:

  1. simplify library packaging
  2. making sure packaging follows library policy

IMHO these are two interesting features and so it is worth a try to use
d-shlibs if possible.  I will have a look into your latest changes this
afternoon and will try to give some more hints to your work.

For the moment I remember that I wanted to change the following to comply
better with the naming scheme we are usially following:  Move

   svn://svn.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/quazip/trunk/

   svn://svn.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/libquazip/trunk/

and also name the source package (in changelog and control) from quazip
to libquazip.  Remark: In prinziple you are free to choose the source
package name different from the binary package but it somehow helps
finding things better in SVN and is more convinient for other team
members.  So your first choice was not "wrong" but rather "untypical"
and the goal of MoM is to make students aware of the typical packaging
practice.

Saying this I would like to mention that I added you as MoM student for
month June.  Thanks for your readiness.

[1] http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html