neverending jai-imageio-core story

Hi melissa !

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Melissa Linkert
<melissa@glencoesoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi Mathieu,
>
>> What I still do not really understand is that after a git clone of
>> bioformat I can see I am getting the non-free
>> ./jar/clibwrapper_jiio.jar; but I cannot find the shared lib anywhere.
>> Should use download/install it separately ?
>
> The shared library is not required by Bio-Formats, and in fact having it
> does not even improve functionality.  So it is expected that the user
> will download and install it themselves, if they feel that they need it.

Ah ! That is fantastic to know. So basically Bio-Formats manage to get
a true BSD (reduced) jai-imageio-core lib working.

The issue here is that debian/libjai-image-io is being used as a
shared .jar for any project. Originally I believe the goal was to
support dcm4che in debian. For DICOM, jai-imageio-core is handy since
it provide a JPEG-LS codec. It seems as if you guys in the biological
field do not use JPEG-LS compression and could safely get rid of the
nasty (non-BSD) clib_jiio shared libs.

I'll resume -again- my work on bio-formats and used the convenient
(reduced but BSD) jai-imageio-core libs shipped with bio-formats, this
way bioformats will enter debian/main instead of non-free.

Thanks for the info !
--
Mathieu