Re: BioJava 3.0.4 released - any volunteer to upgrade our totally outdated package?

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 09:41:45AM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I think that biojava3 is not compatible, and should be a different
> Debian release (biojava3 package).

Well, fine for me if we will manage to maintain two packages (currently
we have the situation of one unmaintained package :-().

> So there would be 2 tasks:
>
> 1) upgrade to 1.8 (current Debian is 1.7.1)
> 2) Create new package biojava3

Sounds reasonable in principle at least.

> In addition, both now use Maven as build tool. This will complexify the
> package....not sure it can be done before the freeze.

I do not see any reason to use the freeze as a big club to push us
foreward.  It is nice to have up to date software in the next stable
release but I bet we will fail at one or the other front.  That can not
be avoided except if suddenly 10 gifted packagers might join the project
out of nowhere.

> I can have a look, but I won't have much time right now.

Just take your time.  (Apropos time:  I decided to upload beast-mcmc to
non-free for the moment and we might try to get it into main for the
next release.)