Similar packages list (Was: librostlab_1.0.20-1_amd64.changes ...)

[Answer via list as suggested below]
Hi Laszlo,

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:56:12AM +0200, Laszlo Kajan wrote:
> Thank you Andreas for the upload and help with this package! Thanks for uploading librostlab-blast!

Uploading is less work than initial packaging - so the thanks goes back
to you. :-)

> I have two questions:
>
> 1: There is this 'Similar packages' list on package description pages like here:
>
>  http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libzerg0
>
>   librostlab-blast should appear in the 'Similar packages' list of libzerg, and vica versa (they essentially do the same, but librostlab-blast
> is better - data not shown).

My first bet is that the data for librostlab-blast are not yet parsed
for this feature.  It most probably need to pass new plus some extra
delay for cron jobs etc. which are gathering the needed information.

>   ==> How do I / can I control what appears in that list of 'Similar packages'? Can I 'help' whatever generates that list?

I admit I do not really know exactly how it works but I have a strong
feeling that it is based on xapian indexer which is for instance used by
axi-cache.  If this assumption is true you are probably best advised to
make the package descriptions as precise as possible to 'help' creating
this list.  It could help as well to add proper DebTags (You see the
yellow buttons on the tasks pages?  Follow them!)

If you want to know this for sure feel free to quote me on debian-devel
list.

> 2: I noticed that there is a bug for one of my packages in Ubuntu: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=lkajan%40rostlab.org
>
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pp-popularity-contest
>
>   It is an 'FTBFS on armfh in precise'. What should I / can I do now?

I'm sorry, but I do not have any idea about Ubuntu (direct link would
help - the links above do not give me any clue).  My first approach
would be to verify whether the problem exist also on Debian arm
architectures and ask on an arm porters list for help if this is the
case.

> If you have answers to these questions that others can learn from, please reply on the Debian Med list.

Probably my answers are rather of the type that I could learn from
somebody else as well. :-)