Re: Health 2.0 Developer Challenge

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > * Should it be Debian or DebianMed?
> The usual spelling is "Debian Med" (with space).

rright -- sorry ;-)

> > *  there would be questions related to privacy and data use addressing
> >    which might be a bit tricky, so I might just omit them altogether.
> IMHO the answer is quite simple to answer: We can not be better than the
> programs we are packaging.
> It is hard to demonstrate a program you do not know.  However, I think I
> remember that GNUmed people did some demo video.

yes and no -- I think that I should not even try to present some
individual software solutions but rather Debian as a hole and its fit
due to all work of Debian Med... then if we come back to privacy
concerns at the level of OS:

- weakly protected (or unprotected at all) data by the corresponding
  program is much more vulnerable if OS is vulnerable and
  cannot impose file-system level access right restrictions, process
  jailing and access control (SE Linux, LXC, etc)

- OS level encryption of drives/swap to guarantee data safety
  if corresponding hardware gets stolen / recycled

- ??? more ???

High-level summary: secure-by-design OS helps to maintain data
privacy/security at appropriate level, while "secure" application on a
vulnerable OS cannot protect data adequately.

and as for a demo -- just demonstrate Debian itself -- availability of
thousands of software solutions with accent on those for health
community -- ease of installation, maintenance, uniform bug reporting,
etc -- common drill

or do you feel such perspective is not appropriate here?

> >    also would need to prep some slides presenting DebianMed -- any
> >    sketches/previous talks/slides?
> You might know that I have a large list of talks here:

>   http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/

cool -- you keep a nice archive of them!
meanwhile on
http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/other_en.html
broken link:
http://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/201203_osm_workshop/oam.pdf

> and recently maintain these in
>   git://people.debian.org/~/talks.git

sorry -- I guess url needs to be fixed up a bit -- also I don't
find you under /srv/git.debian.org/git/users  on git.debian.org

> >    supporting materials -- also not sure what could be a worth adding
> >    (Social Contract? ;) )
> Not totally sure what you mean here.

I am not sure either of what supporting materials they would like to
see ;-)

> > * then I would like to request "an exhibit table", not sure if I should
> >   aim for a full blown presentation "during the HDI Forum main session"
> >   but it might be worth to "demonstrating an app or product in another
> >   session (apps demos or breakout sessions)"
> It is hard to demonstrate a program you do not know.  However, I think I
> remember that GNUmed people did some demo video.

if there were demo videos from projects Debian Med provides/support --
that would be cool -- could serve the "screen saver" to run on the demo
box/laptop just to attract audience to moving dots ;)

> > Sorry for a patchy email -- I am in the middle of things and timing is
> > not right atm -- but here it is and I would appreciate your feedback of
> > any kind.

> I'm attaching some example abstract I used at some previous event:

thanks -- if I decide to jump in -- I will share all the materials I
submit/use

Cheers,