Re: mjt package / f2j, jlapack, netlib

Hi Olivier,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 05:19:44PM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I could create packages for f2j, jlapack and netlib.
> Andreas, you can get generated debs at [0]. Files are also in SVN,
> waiting for validation before I upload.

Many thanks for your work on this.

> I will have to upload them in order (f2j -> jlapack -> netlib) because

So I tried to pdebuild f2j but (boring enough) it failed:

(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/pd1enc.def)
(/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/hyperref.cfg)

! Package hyperref Error: Wrong DVI mode driver option `ps2pdf',
(hyperref)                because pdfTeX or LuaTeX is running in PDF mode.

See the hyperref package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.3925 \ProcessKeyvalOptions{Hyp}

?
! Emergency stop.

l.3925 \ProcessKeyvalOptions{Hyp}

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on f2j_ug.log.
make[2]: *** [all] Error 1

This is pretty strange because the testing pdflatex works perfectly.
Usually the reasons for such fail is a missing Build-Depends but I have
no idea which one.  Considering the fact that upstream provides a
prebuilded PDF I wonder whether it makes more sense to prevent the PDF
building at all.  Ftpmaster only requests the *availability* of the
LaTeX-Source not that it is actually builded in the packaging process.
This would make building faster because it enables us droping some
Build-Depends and we need to tweak the Makefile patch to simply do
nothing.

What do you think?

> there is a dependency and I need each other to validate them with
> pbuilder...

This is correct.  So we just should go on uploading f2j.  I would
volunteer to prevent the PDF building process (but I can not do this
tomorrow because I'm defacto offline).

> However generated deb will help you validate them.
>
> I tested a build if libmtj with, in build.xml:
>     <property name="src.dir" value="src"/>
>     <property name="javac.classpath"
> value="/usr/share/java/junit.jar:/usr/share/java/f2jutil.jar:/usr/share/java/netlib-java-0.9.3.jar"/>
>
> and it worked.
>
> Regarding the licensing issue of jlapack, I do not need to make the
> modificiation but just to skip it from source. Indeed, the code does not
> use it in our configuration. The other files should be ok.

Sounds very good.

> Please tell me if packages are ok according to your tests with your
> package, and I will upload them.
>
> [0] http://people.debian.org/~osallou/WIP/

I can confirm that using your *.deb files and the above patch for the build.xml
I can build

    dist/Matrix_Toolkits_for_Java.jar

which looks pretty similar to the mtj.jar provide with beast-mcmc.  The
only difference is that in mtj.jar there is a directory

    /no/uib/cipr/matrix/nni

which is missing in  dist/Matrix_Toolkits_for_Java.jar .

I tried to feed this into the beast-mcmc source and it somehow seems to
work but I stumbled upon some similar buuld problem of the documentation
(and for Beast I need to care for this because there are no PDFs,
thought).  So lets assume for the moment we are on the right track and
start finalising f2j first and continue with the remaining.  Meanwhile
I will care for the pdflatex problem.

Kind regards and thanks again for your work