Re: [MoM] Any progress?

Hi Luis,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 03:12:26AM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> Good news in the front of packaging fis-gtm:
>
> We can now build a set of libraries and most of the
> executables through a cmake-based configuration.

Sounds good!

> The partition of libraries is not the same as the standard
> fis-gtm build, and since this is the first pass, there is
> certainly room for improvement.
> I was getting this error message:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/fisgtmx64.dir/call_dm.s.o: relocation
> R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `opp_dmode' can not be used when making a
> shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>
> but couldn't figure out how to pass the equivalent
> of the fPIC flag to the as compiler.... so I cowardly
> made the library static..., all the other libraries are
> shared.   There is probably a better way to address
> that error...

In case of such trouble I sometimes ask for advise at debian-mentors
list but I guess your workaround should do for the moment.

> Next step, is to review the composition of the libraries,
> make sure that the executables are of reasonable
> size (close to the original build system of fis-gtm),
> and then start exploring the post-build process.
>
> I'll check with Bhaskar (upstream) to get their
> advice on the current status.

Good.  Please make pretty sure that upstream has a positive feeling
about your new build system.  To me it sounds pretty promising and
probably very helpful also for other users of fis-gtm (even when not
involved into Debian).  So I hope they will consider taking this over
upstream for a future version.

> BTW, They have released version 5.5:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/GT.M-x86-Linux-src/V5.5-000/
>
> I'll be tempted to finished the packaging first using 5.4,
> but I'm happy to look at 5.5 if there is a preference for
> the newer version.

I personally would go for the Debian packaging with what seems to be the
most straightforeward way to package it.  If this is the case for 5.4 we
should do this and upgrade later.

Many thanks for your work and the status update.  Keep on the good work