Re: Are we relevant under terms of "free bioinformatics software"

> > IMHO ideally it should be something easy to remember.... e.g.
> > med.debian.net ? ;)
> And bio.debian.net as an alias :)   Just kidding. Somewhat. I would
> support your suggestion.

;-)

> My hunch is that we need an exchange about the practical side of the
> packages more to educate our users and us not only about what software
> we have in the archive but also about some creative way to use it. So,
> if the Debian Med wiki would start to have dedicated pages for
> individual packages it features, then this is nothing I could personally
> maintain, but our user base could.

if you manage to engage users to such a degree -- you would be an
exemplar for everyone ;)

> Every such page would also link to
> somewhere on the DebianMed developers portal, which the search engines
> should take some notice of.

not sure if of any value but I just want to describe what we have
for neuro.debian.net:

in neuroimaging field we have a portal http://www.nitrc.org/  which is
used by many projects to host/distribute their code/data/etc.  So
neuro.debian.net package pages (e.g.
http://neuro.debian.net/pkgs/ants.html ) backlink to blends pages and
NITRC pages.  also on NITRC side we have created NeuroDebian project and
NITRC allows to list other projects to be a part of some other project,
so now we are quite well interlinked with corresponding software
packages: http://www.nitrc.org/projects/neurodebian/ so.