Re: copyright of cufflinks

On 02/19/2012 03:15 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:12:33AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 07:30:17PM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
IMHO it might be worth trying to contact the author of this>  10 year
old code to verify whether this phrase remains valid these days.  Any
volunteer to free cufflinks (or did I missed something)?
Hi Andreas,

this did not work:

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2012/01/msg00071.html
Hmmm, Alex, could you please a bit more verbose what e-mail addresses
Hi Andreas ,

I tried all possible emails of Catherine Loader I could find .

http://stat.bell-labs.com/project/locfit/  both Catherine and Jiayang Sun .

http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/showperson?firstname=Catherine&surname=Loader

herine.net domain addresses: adm[at]herine.net and c[at]herine.net.

Jiayang Sun couldn't help with licensing issue .

Cuffllinks upsteam also couldn't help with working contacts .

you tried and how you tried to find out somebody who finally *is* *able*
to decide about licensing issues?
According the copyright :

"Anyone wishing to use Locfit in any kind of comparative benchmark
study must contact and obtain permission from the Author."

The Author seems to be Catherine....

Another possibility can be Lucent Technologies ,
but I didn't try this direction so far .

If we can assemble a longer list of similarly non-free packages,
perhaps their rescue could be wrapped as a summer of code project ?
You mean to clarify the licenses or to rewrite the code?

Best regards ,
Alex