copyright of cufflinks

Hi,

as far as I can see after having studied debian/copyright of cufflinks
its non-free nature is only because it contains some third party
software (locfit) which contains the following phrase in its licensing
agreement which otherwise should be considered free:

 For these reasons, the
 Locfit code, as distributed, should not, and can not, be used to
 derive meaningful benchmarks, either for the speed or accuracy of algorithms.
 Anyone wishing to use Locfit in any kind of comparative benchmark
 study must contact and obtain permission from the Author.
 .
  Copyright (c) 1996-2001 Lucent Technologies, Bell Laboratories.
  SCB code is
  Copyright (c) 1996-2001 Jiayang Sun.

IMHO it might be worth trying to contact the author of this > 10 year
old code to verify whether this phrase remains valid these days.  Any
volunteer to free cufflinks (or did I missed something)?