Re: Looking for sponsor for r-cran-reshape2 and r-cran-ggplot2

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 04:28:33PM -0500, Carlos Borroto wrote:
> > Uploaded.  Please verify that it is really arch=any (I again noticed
> > this after uploading and think it could rather be arch=all).  This could
> > be fixed in a future release after ftpmaster might have moved it to
> > unstable.
>
> I did changed to arch=all and git push is showing as everything is
> up-to-date, are you seeing it still as arch=any?.

My be it was not up to date when I wrote the mail on my side.

> I don't quite understand when to use one or the other, even after
> reading "Debian Policy"[1]. I see if I leave it as arch=any, the
> default, independent packages for each architecture will be created.
> This doesn't tell me when this is the desired result thou. I'm
> guessing anything that is a scripting language can be arch=all, as it
> doesn't need to be compiled, but I'm not quite sure about R libraries.

If it is pure R than it is arch=all.

> Are they compiled?. I do see some .so files being created in some
> cases.

Yes, if there are any *.so files the R package comes with libraries (in
C???) which need to be compiled for each architecture separately.  Then
it is arch=any.

> > like r-cran-ggplot2-data / r-cran-ggplot2-common /
> > r-cran-ggplot2-examples for the case that they might be useful for this
> > R package but not terribly needed for the final purpose of your
> > BioConductor packages.
> >

> I look into moving the data files into their own binary package, it
> seems reasonable to do so. Do you remember any r-cran-* example I
> could look into?

I do not actually remember r-cran-* packages featuring an extra examples
package.  However, if you check out SVN you can do

   find trunk/packages -name "*examples" | grep -v tags

where you can pick a random example for instance velvet.  (I admit I see
a BIG advantage in using SVN for a lot of packages that you can very
easily find a lot of relevant examples.)  Just tell us if this hint is
not sufficient - I can easily show you what I mean also directly in
r-cran-ggplot2.

> >   3. You can watch the QA page specifically the last columns at
> >        http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org&ordering=3
> >      (Packages that are in no specific task are on the bottom of
> >       this page).
>
> I like 3, it would be great if you could filter be uploader.

There is no point in filtering the uploader:

   http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=carlos.borroto@gmail.com

:-)

> Also 4
> seems like a nice option, as other people could jump in and help with
> packages they wouldn't other wise consider.

As I said this is planned but I need to fix the bugs pages first (and by
doing so the feature comes very easy).

I just fixed the tasks pages on debian-med.debian.net and hope to get the
other stuff done soonish.