Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

Hi Luis,

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:59:53PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> MoM  fis-gtm  Status:
>
> Configured the "rules" and "get-orig-source" files to
>
> a) Download upstream source code from sourceforge
> b) Create local directory
> c) Expand the code from upstream
> d) Download extra generated files from 2nd location (**)
> e) Expand in the local directory
> f) Tar.gz the directory to create the orig.tar.gz file.
>
> (**) Put the extra files here:
> Site: http://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/OSEHRA
> File: gtm_V54002B_linux_i686_src_extras.tar.gz
>
> I'm not sure what's the best way to combine these two
> pieces, so, this method is probably a temporary solution
> just to keep us moving forward.

I took the freedom to change debian/get-orig-source heavily.  The
rationale was to demonstrate how I would solve the following problems:

  - Find the real version number which is actually 5.4-002B and not
    54002B.
  - Create a "non-dirty" tarball
  - Merge the files prepared by you in

This script in theory would work for later versions as well - in
practice we hopefully do not need the src_extra not for new versions but
I left this as a demonstration.

I'd suggest to base our future work on what you get when executing

   make -f debian/rules get-orig-source

in current SVN.

Based on this I tried to build the package using your packaging stuff.
At first I noticed that tcsh was missing in my build chroot.  When
inspecting debian/control I realised that you moved the packages
discussed in the previous mails under Depends.  However, these are
required to build the package and thus I moved the files to
Build-Depends to enable properly building the package.

Usually the building tools are realising themselves via dh_shlibdeps.
(see manpage).  There is no point in calling this explicitely when using
dh, everything works automagically - provided you are using
${shlibs:Depends} in Depends (and so I did).

So far for pushing you foreward by adding usual packaging knowledge
straight into the code.

Now I come to the problem I'd like to hand over to you:

   debian/rules override_dh_auto_build
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/fis-gtm-5.4-002B'
tcsh ./setupenv.sh
----- Start the build -----
Linux Host 64
Linux Host linux x86_64 x86_regs
Source Directory List: sr_linux sr_x86_64 sr_x86_regs sr_unix_gnp sr_unix_cm sr_unix sr_port_cm sr_port
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/fis-gtm-5.4-002B'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `gtmshr_symbols.export', needed by `../libgtmshr.so'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/buildd/fis-gtm-5.4-002B'
------ End of build -------
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/buildd/fis-gtm-5.4-002B'
   dh_auto_test

Could you please check why setupenv.sh does not work and also why it
does not return an error code because the package build process keeps on
instead of stopping because of the error.

> Next steps:
>
> 1) I'm getting some warnings from changelog
>     when doing "debuild".  I probably have some
>     lines formatted incorrectly.

I did not noticed this on my side.

> 2) Need to learn how to trigger a build from "debuild".
>     My current attempt was to use:
>
>                      override_dh_auto_build
>
>     but that doesn't seem to do what I was expecting.

The build is actually triggered but is broken - at least this is
the situation from my perspective.