Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On 02/07/2012 02:49 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Luis

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 10:56:57PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
MoM daily report.
Thanks for the update.

Here is the git branch where I have been adding
the files generated during the configuration and
build process of fis-gtm:

https://github.com/luisibanez/fis-gtm/tree/configured
I checked this out and I (as a git beginner) can see the diff between
original fis-gtm source (master branch???) and the configured branch.

I also went a bit through the source tree and found things like

$ head -n 10 sr_port/alias_funcs.c
/****************************************************************
  *                                                              *
  *      Copyright 2009, 2011 Fidelity Information Services, Inc *
  *                                                              *
  *      This source code contains the intellectual property     *
  *      of its copyright holder(s), and is made available       *
  *      under a license.  If you do not know the terms of       *
  *      the license, please stop and do not read further.       *
  *                                                              *
  ****************************************************************/

I actually do not know the terms of thet license because I can only
*assume* that the COPYING file (GNU AFFERO) is the relevant licensing
information.  I noticed that every file is featuring the text above (in
some of them there is "Sanchez Computer Associates, Inc." instead of
FIS).

This probably should be made more clear at some point, for instance the
COPYING file should state explicitely that all files in the
subdirectories containing the phrase above are affected or some
clarification inside the README file would help as well.

[KSB] It is packaged this way because the same GT.M source code produces binaries that are released under both free / open source as well as proprietary licenses (for example, GT.M on AIX is not FOSS). Also, some source code (e.g., utility programs, plugins and shell scripts) is included in the binary packages. When we first released GT.M under a FOSS license, we were advised by counsel to use a header like this on source files and to put the license in the COPYING file. The COPYING file is AGPL v3 verbatim. We can certainly include a readme either as part of the upstream package or as part of the Debian package.

Considering that GT.M has over the years been developed by multiple corporate entities (resulting from acquisitions, spin-offs, name changes, etc.), you will find multiple copyright holders names. We update the copyright holder name to the current corporate entity when we update a module, but not otherwise. The current corporation, which owns all the rights, is Fidelity Information Services (FIS) - Sanchez was acquired in 2004, and prior to that, Sanchez acquired Greystone in 1998.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

I'm now trying to build the resulting collection
without allowing the build process to use the
mumps compiler....
It would be really cool if this would succeede!

GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.