Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

Status on MoM program for packaging "fis-gtm"

Since recent conversations have explored multiple
paths, let me start by rephrasing the big picture,
mostly to make sure that I got it right:

Plan A: (what we started doing in the MoM program)

a) package fis-gtm-initial
b) use it as a dependency for packaging "fis-gtm-server"

Challenge:
fis-gtm-intial contains binary files,  that are
required for bootstrapping the GTM compiler.

Plan B: (proposed cleaner way to package gtm)

Aiming at not requiring binary files to bootstrap GTM.

a) Get the sources from GTM release
b) Get a few extra source files from a configured
    GTM, these are files that were generated by a
    working GTM compiler.
c) Combine (a) and (b) in to a single source tar
    that can be build by using only gcc, without
    needing GTM, and therefore be able to create
    a fis-gtm package without binaries in it.

-------------------

The consensus seems to be that:

Plan A is less elegant (because of the binaries),
but it can lead to shorter delivery of the package.

Plan B is preferable for the long term, but require
more work to fine tune it.

I'm happy to continue pursuing both Plan A and B.

-------------------

Status on Plan A:

I went back to a cleaner VM, and managed to
replicate the installation problem that Andreas
reported regarding the temporary directory. Made
modifications to debian/postinst,  also included
ICU dependency in debian/control, and committed
the fixes to SVN.

I can now build the fis-gtm-initial package,
install it, uninstall it, and can run the verification
code that Bhaskar suggested (threeen1.m file).

Also, installation works fine now with
"wajig install *.deb".

The next steps in this track would be:

a) Double check "postrm" file (Andreas instructions)

b) Continue packaging "fis-gtm-server" based on
    a dependency with "fis-gtm-initial"

-------------------

Status on Plan B:

1) Setup a public Git repository to put the source code.
    https://github.com/luisibanez/fis-gtm

2) Took the source files from the release.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/GT.M-x86-Linux-src/V5.4-002B/
gtm_V54002B_linux_i686_src.tar.gz

3) Created a separate branch intended to put in it the
    source tree resulting from a configured source
    three in a machine that has GTM installed.

Next steps:

a) Put the configured source three in the Git
    branch described above

b) Compare both branches

c) Move required files to the master branch

d) Generate a new source.tar.gz file,

e) verify that it can be build in a machine
    with no GTM, and only GCC.

f)  If that works, replace current source tar
    with this new one that only needs gcc.

Is this consistent with what you have in mind ?

I will appreciate any corrections.

    Thanks

         Luis