Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:45:24AM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Plan A: (what we started doing in the MoM program)
> Plan B: (proposed cleaner way to package gtm)

I agree with your (here stripped) summary.

> -------------------
>
> The consensus seems to be that:
>
> Plan A is less elegant (because of the binaries),
> but it can lead to shorter delivery of the package.
>
> Plan B is preferable for the long term, but require
> more work to fine tune it.

Yes.

> I'm happy to continue pursuing both Plan A and B.

I'd suggest to prefer Plan B as long as it does not turn out dead-end
street.

> -------------------
>
> Status on Plan A:
>
> I went back to a cleaner VM, and managed to
> replicate the installation problem that Andreas
> reported regarding the temporary directory. Made
> modifications to debian/postinst,  also included
> ICU dependency in debian/control, and committed
> the fixes to SVN.
>
> I can now build the fis-gtm-initial package,
> install it, uninstall it, and can run the verification
> code that Bhaskar suggested (threeen1.m file).
>
> Also, installation works fine now with
> "wajig install *.deb".

That's a nice success in any case.

> The next steps in this track would be:
>
> a) Double check "postrm" file (Andreas instructions)
>
> b) Continue packaging "fis-gtm-server" based on
>     a dependency with "fis-gtm-initial"

As I think we should prefer Plan B I would stall this approach for the
moment.

> -------------------
>
> Status on Plan B:
>
> 1) Setup a public Git repository to put the source code.
>     https://github.com/luisibanez/fis-gtm

It can never harm to have thses files publicly available, so fully ACK.

> 2) Took the source files from the release.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/GT.M-x86-Linux-src/V5.4-002B/
> gtm_V54002B_linux_i686_src.tar.gz<http://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/GT.M-x86-Linux-src/V5.4-002B/gtm_V54002B_linux_i686_src.tar.gz/download>

Yes.

> 3) Created a separate branch intended to put in it the
>     source tree resulting from a configured source
>     three in a machine that has GTM installed.

This might be a consequent approach to assemble everything you might
need outside Debian.  So I will definitely not stop you from doing
so.  If I were in your shoes I would create a debian/get-orig-source
script which fetches the source tarball (BTW, I just realised that
the sourceforge dir contains the "real" version number 5.4-002B which
should be regarded inside the get-orig-source script).  In this script
unpack the tarball, download the additional sources from your Git
repository, put them in one dir as needed for the later build and
create what will be our fis-gtm_5.4-002B.orig.tar.gz.

> Next steps:
>
> a) Put the configured source three in the Git
>     branch described above
>
> b) Compare both branches
>
> c) Move required files to the master branch
>
> d) Generate a new source.tar.gz file,
>
> e) verify that it can be build in a machine
>     with no GTM, and only GCC.
>
> f)  If that works, replace current source tar
>     with this new one that only needs gcc.

This procedure sounds also very sane - just do whatever you prefer and
which finally ends up in something that qualifies a
fis-gtm_5.4-002B.orig.tar.gz .

> Is this consistent with what you have in mind ?

Perfectly.

> I will appreciate any corrections.

No need for this - many thanks for your committed work on this