Re: [med-svn] r9384 - trunk/packages/fis-gtm/fis-gtm-initial/trunk/debian

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 08:00:08PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:

> Yes, but I assumed that we only wanted to have one -initial package.
> So it should contain both bootstrap tar files for amd64 and i386.
> Depending on the architecture of the buildd only one is really used.

Ahh, OK.  But does it make any sense to have in inside a package
targeting at amd64 or i386 depending where you build the initial
package?  IMHO not, because if you build the initial package for amd64
only the tarball for amd64 is usable (and so for i386).  So I'm not yet
convinced that both tarballs should be in one binary for a specific
architecture.

> The debconf stuff with user and group in postinst is a another nice
> feature of fis-gtm. You can restrict the usage of fis-gtm to a
> certain gid. This might be useful in an hospital where more strict
> security requirements needs to be fullfilled. Although Bhaskar told
> me that this feature is not used often, I left it in. It is defined
> with low priority, so everybody who wants to use it might use it and
> the majority will not be bothered by it.

I'd consider this as an interesting feature for the *final* packaging.
However, IMHO it does not make much sense in the initial package which
has the only purpose of buutstrapping which will be done by root anyway.

> Anyway, most of the questions that come up now have been discussed
> some time ago when I started to work on the package. So it might be
> really helpful to browse the archive.

Hah, more work for the student, cool.  Luis, what about your todo list.
;-)

> >However, I'd like to
> >keep things as simple as possible in the beginning.  So I also would
> >recommend getting rid of the debconf stuff you injected into the initial
> >package (again not questioning that it might be needed later).
>
> This package is already beyond the beginning. The debconf stuff is
> in, it is kind of useful, so why shall it be removed again?

My idea was to keep things simple for the initial package which is used
only once for bootstrapping by root.  I will not force Luis to remove
this stuff but may be it is simpler to move the debconf stuff straigt to
the future packaging of the final package?

Kind regards and thanks for your explanation