Re: Plans for ITK version 4

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 07:14:26AM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> Do I see an opportunity for a shameless plug ?    :-)
>
> I hope I don't get kicked out of this list
> for posting the full list of projects below:

The only chance you have to get not kicked is to package all those
projects that are not yet packaged. ;-)

> The most recent newcomers to the family
> are VES and KiwiViewer:
>
> http://www.kitware.com/news/home/browse/Kitware?2012_01_19&Kitware+Announces+Open-Source+Release+of+VES+and+KiwiViewer
>
> "VES is the VTK OpenGL ES rendering toolkit"
>
> "KiwiViewer is the interactive application built on VES
>  for exploring geometric datasets on multi-touch mobile devices."
>
> (both under Apache 2.0 License)

Honestly: Thanks for the hint.  Any volunteer to inspect our imaging
tasks page[1] what might be missing and should be added?

> Now I see that we should have been more
> closely involved in packaging a while ago...

Try to involve more people - there will be some monthes left this year
for MoM ...

> During the refactoring of ITKv4 we did a whole scale
> modularization of the Toolkit, one of the goals was
> to make it easier for Linux packagers to be able to
> remove the redundant libraries that we carry around
> in the "Utilities" directory (png, jpeg, tiff...etc).
>
> I guess that now is the time to see if it actually helped,
> and to make any changes to ITKv4 to make it easier
> to package...    :-)

I guess you contacted the very best place to find this out.

> > Kudos to Steve and Mathieu for all their effort to make this available
> > in Debian.
>
> Bowing repeatedly to them...

I'm also very happy about people caring for medical imaging part (there
are some more in this field).  It makes quite a share of our whole
project and it would be not there without them.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging