Re: Plans for ITK version 4

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Michael Hanke <mih@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 08:22:27AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:10:50PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> >
> > As maintainer of the upstream project I will
> > be more than happy to help solve any difficulty.
>
> Ahhh, ITK *and* GT.M upstream?  Is this by chance or is there some
> connection?

kitware.com, known for CMake, VTK, ITK, ParaView and who knows what
else ;-)

Do I see an opportunity for a shameless plug ?    :-)

I hope I don't get kicked out of this list
for posting the full list of projects below:

The most recent newcomers to the family
are VES and KiwiViewer:

http://www.kitware.com/news/home/browse/Kitware?2012_01_19&Kitware+Announces+Open-Source+Release+of+VES+and+KiwiViewer

"VES is the VTK OpenGL ES rendering toolkit"

"KiwiViewer is the interactive application built on VES
 for exploring geometric datasets on multi-touch mobile devices."

(both under Apache 2.0 License)

It is awesome to see Luis getting involved. All this software is hard to
package, but at the same time it is becoming more and more essential in
the field. Upstream backup would certainly help to make everyones life
much easier.

It has been great to start learning about all the
hard work that you guys do here.

Now I see that we should have been more
closely involved in packaging a while ago...

During the refactoring of ITKv4 we did a whole scale
modularization of the Toolkit, one of the goals was
to make it easier for Linux packagers to be able to
remove the redundant libraries that we carry around
in the "Utilities" directory (png, jpeg, tiff...etc).

I guess that now is the time to see if it actually helped,
and to make any changes to ITKv4 to make it easier
to package...    :-)

Kudos to Steve and Mathieu for all their effort to make this available
in Debian.

Bowing repeatedly to them...

     Luis