Re: Please sponsor upload of aghermann-0.5.1

Hi Yaroslav,

I did it again, a new version.  It's mostly bugfixes.  The link to the
.dsc file is http://johnhommer.com/academic/code/aghermann/source/deb/aghermann_0.5.1-1.dsc.

> btw -- if you would have loved your sponsor, you would have dropped all
> autotools pregenerated crap and re-generated them at build time ;-)

I really don't know about that, sorry.

The 'crap' in the tarball I understand you are referring to, is those m4
files, and the ./configure script itself, right?  Removing them from the
installation tarball shaves off about 100K, which is cool.  Gleaning
bits and hints from various sources, including
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dreq.en.html#targets, I
figured out dh_autoreconf is the way to go, and edited my
debian/rules thusly:

%:
	dh $@ --with autoreconf

Then, I manually removed aclocal.m4, m4/* and configure from the
tarball, and tried debuild -D, as before.  I could see autoreconf runs,
recreates the crap in m4, and hands over to the newly created
./configure.

But then, ./configure bails out with this:

  checking for g++ option to support OpenMP... -fopenmp
  ./configure: line 15171: syntax error near unexpected token `export'
  ./configure: line 15171: `export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig'
  ==> config.log <==
  This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
  running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

Here is the relevant snippet from configure.in:

  AX_BOOST_BASE()
  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
  PKG_CHECK_MODULES([AGHCORE],
  	 [samplerate >= 0.1.7
  	  gsl
  	 ])

If I dnl the line containing "export...", then pkg-config is simply "not
found":

  configure:15293: checking for AGHCORE
  configure:15379: result: no
  configure:15381: error: in `/home/hmmr-deb/W/personal-pages/code/aghermann/source/aghermann-0.5.1':
  configure:15383: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
  is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
  path to pkg-config.

Also, even before I got here, I had to remove the argument from
the AX_BOOST_BASE macro (the argument was [1.41]):

  ./configure: line 15170: syntax error near unexpected token `1.41'
  ./configure: line 15170: `AX_BOOST_BASE(1.41)'

At this point, I already realise I am fighting shadows.  Why should
`export VAR=VALUE' fail this time, whereas it worked just fine all
along?  Why pkg-config fails to run despite the fact it is duly
mentioned in Build-Depends:?  What is wrong with AX_BOOST_BASE([1.41])?

I'm sorry, after several hours of trying, I gave up.  It's too much
feeling I somehow do it wrong without knowing *where* exactly.  Yet I
understand it *can* be done, as I regularly see emerge does invoke
autoreconf.  It's just the effort is not for the faint of heart.

All that said, I would ask you to sponsor upload my last version, 0.5.1,
with all the crap still there :}, one last time.

Cheers,
Andrei