Re: trunk/packages/swarm/trunk/debian

Hello Andreas,

On Jan 19, 2012, at 3:14 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 04:07:06PM -0600, Scott Christley wrote:
>> I have committed a few changes to the swarm package, most notably the passing of correct parameters to configure, so now the package looks to build completely.  However, the deb files are essentially empty.  Could somebody please take a look and give me a hint for how to package shared libraries?  I'm not sure what I am missing.
>
> You are probably need to override dh_auto_build because when looking at
> the log file nothing is actually builded.
>
> It might be that the Build-Depends are not correctly set.  The configure
> script ends with
>
>  checking for Tcl configuration... configure: WARNING: Can't find Tcl configuration definitions
>
> However, I'd expect to throw configure a proper return code if this
> would be critical.

Actually it is critical, so configure must not be throwing a return code that signals the build has failed.

I used override_dh_autoconf to specify additional parameters to configure, pointers to tcl and tk and turn off java for the moment.

> Apropos Build-Depends:  I noticed that you dropped ${gnustep:Depends}
> from the list of Depends.  In case this is concerned to somehow not
> support gnustep in the current packaging (where you might have reasons
> for) you most probably will be able to drop Build-Depends gobjc, gperf
> as well.  However, I do not know anything about libswarm and it is
> rather your decision whether gnustep is wanted or not.

Correct, the current version does not support GNUstep.  Both gobjc and gperf are needed.

> Once you fixed the dh_auto_build target you need to create
> debian/*.install files telling dh_install where to put those files (see
> man dh_install).

That was it.  I had those *.install files in my working directory from before but I was getting strange errors, so I deleted everything and started from scratch from the current files in SVN.

> Further hint: Please make yourself comfortable with dh-autoreconf.  I
> recently used it in the package exonerate to make sure automake stuff
> will be handled properly and easily.

That sounds nice but how do you make sure that the proper versions of autoconf, automake, libtool, etc. are used?  This can cause a bit of trouble with Swarm because we have noticed that these tools are not necessarily backwards-compatible, using newer versions tends to break the configure scripts.

> Last hint: The packaging is lacking a debian/copyright file.  Please use
> DEP5 format[1] - we have several examples in Debian Med SVN to
> shamelessly copy and paste from.

Created!

> Have you read about my MOM announcement in the last mail to the Debian
> Med list?  Want to become a MOM student?

I am a perpetual student :-D

cheers
Scott