Debian Native Packages and README.Status

Hi,

In December, I complained [1] about the fact that the SVN tree for
package wrapitk got the mergeWithUpstream property set, even after I
had removed it once.

Thorsten replied, saying that the script setting the property
will scan a file named "README.status":

> for these cases we have the README.status [...]  If
> it contains a Source: line like "Source: unavailable" (or with any
> other yet to be defined value) the property will not be set
> automatically.

The trouble with this is that "Source: unavailable" does not describe
the situation.  The source *is*, indeed, available.  The distinction,
rather, is that there is no upstream tarball.

IMHO, the process would be more robust if, instead, the script uses
the standard Debian method to describe whether the source package has
an upstream tarball + patch, or not.  Specifically, the absense of a
"debian revision" in the Version string [2].

You could use something like:

  if dpkg-parsechangelog |grep -q '^Version:.*-'; then
    process as not native, set the property, etc
  fi

Thanks,
-Steve

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2011/12/msg00087.html