Re: ARB package

Hi Tim,

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 04:52:10PM +0000, Tim Booth wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> OK - I just found
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/05/msg00679.html
>
> Might be worth noting this within README.source.

Feel free to change README.source in any way you feel reasonable (as
well as any other part of the packaging - you are in the Debian Med
packaging team, right?)

> On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 16:43 +0000, Tim Booth wrote:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > I've been taking a look at ARB just now, and I see you've done a heck of
> > a lot of work on it.

Yes, ARB is really a lot of work.  I established some contact to
upstream who tries to help in case of trouble with upstream code.
However I'd regard it as one of the harder packages which drains a lot
of time while featuring a quite low popcon.

> >  I have a couple of questions that I can't find
> > answers for in the changelog or README.source, so hopefully you can
> > help.
> >
> > 1) Do you know what is keeping ARB in non-free apart from the depencency
> > on libmotif?  I can't tell from reading the copyright file if the
> > licence for the ARB source is DFSG-compliant or not.

It starts with
  "This release of the ARB program and documentation may not be sold or
   incorporated into a commercial product, in whole or in part, ..."
and has several other issues.  Upstream considers the licensing issues
as not really solvable because they are using several third party code
which can not be freed.

> > 2) Do you know if ARB works properly when compiled against lesstif2?  I
> > just verified it compiles and seems to run but maybe there are
> > errors/glitches later on that you know of which I didn't notice on a
> > cursory look.

You found the answer and it does not help anyway if we could use lesstif.
ARB would stay in non-free even then.

> > 3) Any idea why jdk and perl-doc are listed as build dependencies?  I
> > just tried the build without them, using pbuilder, and the
> > resulting .deb files came out identical with no errors.

I did not checked the needed Build-Depends for the lateest version.  It
was once needed for previous versions.  As I said - just commit your
changes to SVN.