Re: debian science biology live usb? or biolinux

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:05:19AM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:

> I would try multiple distros and decide which you
> like best

Well, such a try can be time consuming - especially if you want to go
that far to install all the biological software on it.  You need to find
a definition for "like best".  I guess it should not be the distro which
has the most beautiful desktopn background.  So how easy it might be to
install biological software might be an important criterion - from my
perspective this reduces your choice to some Debian based distributions.

> Concerning PHASE,
> http://depts.washington.edu/uwc4c/express-licenses/assets/phase/clickthrough/license/41/
> says that it is not redistributable. So you have to install it yourself.
> Maybe you ask the author about the Linux distro he supports.

Please also consider asking the author whether they might consider a
really free license.