Re: status of packages

Hi Charles,

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Charles Plessy wrote:
I sometimes use a debian/DRAFT file in the draft
packages I upload, but would be happy to use debian/README.status instead.

I would like to separate the debian directory from the README.status. One of my aims was to remove all unneeded packaging information (tag, trunk) from the repository. If someone really needs to have a look at the old stuff, he has to checkout the revision before the 'svn delete'.

Here are a couple of suggestions.

- Use YAML as a syntax.  There are parsers for many languages, that are very
  easy to use.

Ok.

- I find the Status field redundant with the other fields.

(... example ...)

Yes, but in your example you need to check several tags in order to know what has happened to the package. If you want to check whether the package is still used, you have to check whether Active: or Draft: is available. In case you have the Status: you just have to look there and can decide from the value of that tag.

Also, a Format field might be useful in case README.status has so much
success that a backwards-incompatible version 2.0 is needed to extend it :)

Ok :-).

I will put every suggestions somewhere in the Wiki soon.

   Thorsten