Re: License of Prism

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 08:16:33PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > For two reasons, I would not advocate including any binaries in the
> > package, only source code.  One is that we should avoid any indication
> > that we are distributing a "medical device", per the FDA definition, as
> > the FDA regulates the distribution of such software, whether or not you
> > charge money for it.  The second is that binaries depend strongly on
> > which Lisp compiler and runtime system you choose to create them, so it
> > is best to let users choose their Lisp compiler and build their own.

To be fair to the argument:

While the first part (the FDA one) is bullocks, the second
part (about the Lisp compiler dependancy) may be a much more
salient point. Better experts need to speak up on that. I do
see packages compiling Lisp in postinst.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346