Re: circos packaging upload

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 09:12:38AM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> as I said in my previous email, upstream source is quite a mess.
> One need to mix several packages (not with the same version) and apply
> "patches" which are in fact some tar files containing only modified
> files....

Ahhh, now I remember.

> To avoid this mess, if you want, I can make the orig.tar.gz I created
> from upstream source available for download so that you get it.

Well, you explained that this is a mess - but you need to provide a
reproducible way for others to get the orig.tar.gz.  As a precondition
we need at least a *working* watch file (just commited).

Remark:  When dealing with R packages which are frequently featuring a
'-' sign in their version I learned the hard way that it is better to
take over this versioning scheme.  For the moment I took over this also
in circos and did s/0.54\.1-1/0.54-1-1/ in the changelog as package
version.  I'm not specifically keen on this change.  However, if you
prefer the '.' versioning scheme for upstream version you need to
prepend the string in debian/watch by

  opts="dversionmangle=s/\./-/" \

or alternatively

  opts="uversionmangle=s/-/./" \

to let uscan detect the proper version.

This serves us with the latest patch set for circos.  The proper way
to do is now to write a get-orig-source script which iterates down the
versions to the main release, fetches those tarballs and applies the
patches.  Well, this is a bit of tricky work but it makes cooperation
and sponsoring and finally your own life easier for the future.

If you are in a hurry we can cowardly work around this for a moment and
you upload your orig.tar.gz to mentors.debian.net.  But please in this
case add a get-orig-source target in debian/rules which echos clear
advise (or cat README.Source or something like this).  Otherwise people
might ignore this.

PS: Alternatively you might want to talk to upstream whether they might
    imagine to follow the release habits of so many other projects ...