Re: seq-gen contains non-free parts

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 05:09:23PM +0100, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>  The program package, including source codes,
>  example data sets, executables, and this
>  documentation, is distributed free of charge for academic use only.

You are right, this is in fact non-free. :-(

My advise would be to write a nice e-mail (CCing this list), perhaps starting
with

   I'm writing to you on behalf of Debian Med, an internal team of the
   Debian GNU/Linux distribution which tries to make Debian prepared
   best for use in medicine and biology.  I created a Debian package
   of seq-gen which is now included in official Debian but finally I
   realised ...

   ... would you consider to put every single file under the BSD license
   as the rest of this software?

or something like this.  It might just be that the authors just did not
noticed the different licenses and it would be no problem to change the
license.  So my first reaction would be to kindly ask before panicking.
You should also explain, that the package needs to be removed from main
Debian otherwise.