Ensembl with Debian Re: new member introduction

Hello,

On 12/08/2011 06:24 PM, Nick James wrote:
> My suggestion is that we just ignore this script as it is not needed
> for Ensembl to run.
We should decide over time what it means for us to see "Ensembl run".
The current definition for our package seems to be "use the public data
of Ensembl but have a local user management". This makes some very
decent sense for anyone interested in learning or extending the
functionality of Ensembl from day one. And with so many other
bioinformatics and statistical tools available in Debian, there is
plenty of opportunity for everyone to investigate so many different things.

To me, having Ensembl in and so many complete genomes with it, or at
least accessible through it, this is the twilight of Open Source and
Citizen Science. And when we manage to have it all prepared for
technical enthusiasts, we have also prepared it for the technically
enthused clinician. They exist - some of them I talk to every day. What
happens then - in terms of funding and ideas - we do not know.

>From what I grasped, EagleGenomics is excellent in bringing newly
sequenced individuals (patients) or pools of such (pathogens) into
Ensembl. This means assembly, annotation and comparisons of the
sequences. We can as a community learn a lot from their selection of
tools for the job and all the scripts they use to perform and control
the process. I hope Debian to continue to be important for them and to
see Nick and his colleagues help developing Debian further for their
immediate needs, and for the long term benefit of us all.

Good you are around. Many thanks and regards,

Steffen