GSoC and packaging (Was: [FreeMedForms] Creating a global "Linux Medical Team")

Hi Steffen,

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 01:35:16PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> And
> when you follow the discussions of mine with the Google Summer of Code
> organisers of Debian, then you will find that Debian does not like
> above projects too much. They kicked them out.

Formerly I also did not really understood why Debian's GSoC maintainers
to not like packaging focussed projects.  However, when I read the
posting on Fedora Medical SIG[1] from a GSoC student I suddenly became
aware that the strategy of our GSoC maintainers simply helps to create a
sustainable result.  I do not think that it helps to much if a GSoC
student does some "random" packaging and afterwards orphans the packages
and just hopes someone will pick his work for further maintenance.

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/pipermail/medical-sig/2011-September/000210.html